Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Gratitude List



This photo is of Dolores Park, right across from San Damiano Friary in San Francisco. I took it Saturday afternoon, after finishing my 4 mile run: a beautiful spring day! It is the perfect image for how I am feeling: grateful!

Flying across the country two weeks ago, the Delta airlines magazine had a section on "Things we liked in 2010" or something like that. Along with the Old Spice Guy, they included a special box on gratitude: how important it is to a happy productive life. I was reminded then of a verse from psalm 66 "Come now and see the works of God, how wonderful he is in his doing toward all people." This verse caught my attention a few weeks ago and prompted me to reflect on the wonderful things God had done in my life, and the link between being grateful and my willingness to keep my vows. Last Friday a group of us were telling stories about the things we are grateful for in our lives today. For me it is the chance to spend time in San Francisco (escaping the snow in New York!!), for meaningful work, for my health, and all the people in my life who love and support me.

On a more micro level, I really enjoyed eating a "Proposition 8" hot dog (two weiners in one bun!) at Zog's Dogs in San Francisco, coffee at the original Peets in Berkeley, cooking dinner for the brothers.

Perhaps it sounds too Pollyanna, but I have discovered that especially at times when I feel aggravated and unhappy, the best way to move through it is to start to list the things that I am grateful for. Eventually the glass is half full, and before I know it it is overflowing.

No comments: